From the 40 Days of Daily Bread Series.
Do you ever feel like you’ve been going around the mountain over and over? (Remember that song, “…she’ll be comin’ ‘round the mountain when she comes…”?) I have definitely been there!
Often we go through seasons with the Lord where God is teaching us something new about His truths or an area we need to change in our lives. He is teaching you something right now. Do you know what it is? That’s a question I ask occasionally, especially when it seems like I’m living through similar circumstances as I did in the past.
Sometimes the learning experience is long while going around the mountain. As I’ve gotten impatient about it, I’ve learned God is usually waiting on me. 😉
One of the things that God wanted to teach me one time was flexibility. I wanted to be in control of my schedule and everything else because I used to be a perfectionist. From what I could see it was good to have things—well—perfect. But God wanted to show me that it was better to have a servant heart coupled with a spirit of excellence instead.
I fought God on this one for a long time. Preparations for something would be underway and I could sense the Holy Spirit tapping me on the shoulder when things started to unravel, but I would ignore Him. He would be telling me to walk in the Spirit. Be patient. Show love.
But I wanted things to be done my way.
I had to come around that same mountain many times because I just wasn’t getting it!
For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 ESV
- Reflect on the following questions and write what God shows you in your journal:
- What is God teaching you?
- How are you responding to the Spirit’s promptings in the moment? Are you receiving? Fighting? Ignoring?
- Are you willing to let God deal with you now or do you want to be going around the mountain again? (Remember, God is changing us into His image, and desires that we grow spiritually.)
- Write the scriptures from this post in your journal:
In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 1:6-7 ESV
- Be obedient to God. If you need strength, you got it! Stay tuned, we’ll be talking more about how to get off that mountain.
Have you ever felt like you were in spiritual deja vu? What happened?