From the 40 Days of Daily Bread Series.
When you obey God and begin to see Him changing you through the power of His Word, you will boast in the Lord as you walk in the way of humility.
The “old man’s” heart swells with pride, but the “new man’s” heart swells with the goodness of the Lord.
He blesses the humble with many rewards.
Rewards of Humility
These blessings are not by your own power, but by His hand. What bounty in this list!
- Wisdom (Proverbs 11:2)
- Riches, honor, life (Proverbs 22:4)
- Grace (Proverbs 3:34)
- God teaches His way to the humble (Psalm 25:9)
- God hears the desire of the humble (Psalm 10:17)
- Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:3)
- Lifted up (Psalm 147:6)
You will see these evident in your life and walk with God when you are walking in humility. When you notice one of these rewards, pause and thank God for His blessings.
I like to take that moment to also renew my resolve to keep a humble character by praying, “I humble myself before You, Lord,” as it says in James chapter four.
- Copy the rewards of humility in your journal and look up the scriptures listed above.
- What has been happening in your life? Can you recall an instance recently that you had the opportunity to respond with humbleness? What happened? Have you recognized a response of pride that you dealt with? Write a specific occasion in your journal.
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. James 4:10 ESV
For though the LORD is high, he regards the lowly, but the haughty he knows from afar. Psalm 138:6 ESV
We boast in the Lord when we walk in humility. Can you think of a way to boast in the Lord right now?