[This is part of the You Are Here for a Reason series.]
We lived in a house with one bathroom. Everyone was looking forward to the installation of the bathroom fan to ease the humidity during showers, and for…air quality. Daddy’s right shoulder was filling the corner, while he worked with the electrical wires sticking out of the wall on his left. My scrawny, tomboy, 8-year-old self volunteered to help shine the flashlight on those wires since the light from the candle wasn’t bright enough.
After a few minutes, he leaned his shoulder on the left side of the naked outlet. My new goal was to shine the light on his other side, but I was hindered by the corner. I saw that I could sit on the bathroom sink behind him, and reach my arm around to shine it in the correct spot.
I jumped up on the counter and in one quick motion my arm was holding up the flashlight, beaming that I figured out a way to help. Almost before I finished that thought my back felt really hot! I glanced behind and saw the flames.
Panic hit; I ran screaming towards the kitchen because my Mom was there. I was deaf to Daddy’s voice yelling at me to “Stop, drop, and roll!” He ran after me, wiping out the flames with his bare hand by the time I reached the living room. (His act of love knocked me down, and my grandpa and brother watching TV thought the whole fiasco was because I was getting spanked. Ha!)
The miracle part
That morning I had gotten dressed in my favorite flannel shirt, and pulled my waist-long hair back into a ponytail. Right afterwards, Mom came in to chat with me. She braided my hair, and suggested I wear a t-shirt under my flannel shirt because it was a cold day. I thought it was a good idea, too, and put on an undershirt.
We surveyed the damage, and speculated what happened. When I had leaned back on that bathroom counter, my braid swung into the flame, igniting my shirt. The flannel shirt was left with a gaping hole that covered almost my entire back, but the undershirt only had a tiny hole in the bottom. That hole left one blister on my skin: the only burn I had.
Why wasn’t it worse than this? We looked at the undershirt. It was flame resistant. I looked in my drawer later. It was the only undershirt I owned that happened to be flame resistant! I could have chosen any of the others, but I didn’t. God made sure I grabbed the right one, a little did I know it would help prevent a serious burn.
The very end of my braid was charred. Mom was able to brush the burnt part right out, and only a little trim was needed! If it had remained in a ponytail, the flames would have been licking at my scalp in a matter of seconds!
My dad’s poor hand got it way worse than I did. It was covered in blisters. Thank you, Daddy, for that!
The end of this story could have been very tragic. God did a miracle instead!
Moral of the Story
How many times have you said, “That was close!” when an accident nearly occurred? God is sovereign. Only He may know how many times He has saved your life. If you are reading this, then you are still alive; God wants you here right now. Don’t give up. Whether or not you understand fully, just believe that you are here for a reason!
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 NKJV
What miracles has God done in your life?
Photo credit Andy/Andrew Fogg [modifications mine] (Creative Commons)
Did you like this post? Please share it! Never miss another post, subscribe here!