From the 40 Days of Daily Bread Series.
One morning I woke up to seek God, but I didn’t want to wake anyone (also I was being a bit prideful…what if someone hears me?!). I put my headphones on and started silently worshipping from my heart. I felt the Lord leading me to praise Him out loud. I did it out of obedience. As soon as I obeyed, I felt His presence strongly increase.
I felt Him saying that He created the universe when He spoke it aloud. He thought about it and planned it ahead of time, but it didn’t actually happen until He spoke it into existence.
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast. Psalm 33:6,9 NKJV
That was all that came to me so I started thinking about it and looking up scriptures. I wondered, “Does He want His people to praise Him out loud, or does it matter?” There are plenty of scriptures that say God knows our thoughts (Psalm 94:11; Matthew 9:4), but there is power in the tongue (Proverbs 18:21; James 3:2-13).
I’m not saying there is anything wrong with praising and worshipping God quietly. There are times when that is needed. I am saying that there is power in lifting up our voices (even loudly) to God. From a study of the scriptures, it seems that God even delights in His people doing so.
Use Your Voice: Pray Aloud
- …one of His disciples said to Him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.” So He said to them, “When you pray, say… Luke 11:1-2a NKJV
- Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. Psalm 55:17
- My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord; In the morning I will direct it to You, And I will look up. Psalm 5:3 NKJV
Use Your Voice: Praise & Sing Aloud
- I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1
- Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. Hebrews 13:15 NKJV
- But I will sing of Your power; Yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning… Psalm 59:16a NKJV
Apply the Word
This section is to help us respond to His promptings. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22
- There will be times when we should be quiet before God, but let’s not allow hinderances (i.e. pride) to stop us from delighting Him with our voice in prayer and praise.
- Write the scriptures from this post that caught your attention in your journal.
O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. Psalm 51:15 ESV
- Open your mouth and let God hear your voice! (Yes, now!)
Will you lift up your voice to the Father unashamed?
O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. Psalm 51:15 ESV [Tweet this]
Our Daily Bread for tomorrow will be about practicing praises. Subscribe so you don’t miss it!Photo credit: Amber Karnes (Creative Commons)
Like this post? Pin it for later! Your friends would probably like it, too! Use the icons below to share it with them. They’ll be glad you didn’t keep it all to yourself. 😉 Never miss a post, subscribe here!