From the 40 Days of Daily Bread Series.
Remember, God speaks to you in more than one way because it’s safer. God does stuff on “God-level,” not human-level. It is powerful to experience God speaking to you through confirmations of various avenues.
Today’s post covers 4 ways God speaks. Click HERE to go to part 2.
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV
Receiving a prophetic word comes primarily from the presbytery for the purpose of being set forth into ministry.
Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. 1 Timothy 4:14 ESV
Prophesying should not be done carelessly. God has given a strict warning to those who prophesy:
The word of the LORD came to me:“Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel, who are prophesying, and say to those who prophesy from their own hearts: ‘Hear the word of the LORD!’Thus says the Lord GOD, Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!They have seen false visions and lying divinations. They say, ‘Declares the LORD,’ when the LORD has not sent them, and yet they expect him to fulfill their word. Ezekiel 13:1-3,6 ESV
Fewer accounts of direct revelation are in the Old Testament, compared to the New Testament because the Holy Spirit has been given to us now and when Jesus died on the cross the veil was ripped in two.
- audible voice of God (God calls Samuel in 1Samuel 3:1-14)
- angelic visitation (Angel of the Lord spoke to Philip in Acts 8:26)
- visions/ spiritual dreams (Pharaoh’s Dreams in Genesis 41)
- inward witness (inner man)/inward voice of Holy Spirit. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. 1 John 2:20 ESV I love this one, but it doesn’t work if you are in rebellion!
- inward knowing/mind of Christ. But we have the mind of Christ.1 Corinthians 2:16b ESV Sometimes I would start to worry over a little decision and my mama always told me, “Make a decision; you have the mind of Christ.”
Stop and reflect. Listen. What ways has God spoken to you recently? Write them in your journal.
How has God spoken to you recently?
*Many of the notes from this post came from a teaching by my mom, Pastor Brenda Hall. Used by permission.