From the 40 Days of Daily Bread Series.
Remember, God speaks to you in more than one venue because it’s safer. God does stuff on “God-level,” not human-level. It is powerful to experience God speaking to you through confirmations of various avenues.
Today’s post covers 4 ways God speaks:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV
Receiving a prophetic word comes primarily from the presbytery for the purpose of being set forth into ministry. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 1 Timothy 4:14 KJV
Prophesying should not be done carelessly. God has given a strict warning to those who prophesy:
And the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who prophesy, and say to those who prophesy out of their own heart, ‘Hear the word of the Lord!’ ”
Thus says the Lord God: “Woe to the foolish prophets, who follow their own spirit and have seen nothing! They have envisioned futility and false divination, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord!’ But the Lord has not sent them; yet they hope that the word may be confirmed. Ezekiel 13:1-3,6 NKJV
Fewer accounts of direct revelation are in the Old Testament, compared to the New Testament because the Holy Spirit has been given to us now and when Jesus died on the cross the veil was ripped in two.
- audible voice of God (God calls Samuel in 1Samuel 3:1-14)
- angelic visitation (Angel of the Lord spoke to Philip in Acts 8:26)
- visions/ spiritual dreams (Pharaoh’s Dreams in Genesis 41)
- inward witness (inner man)/inward voice of Holy Spirit But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. 1 John 2:20 I love this one, but it doesn’t work if you are in rebellion!
- inward knowing/mind of Christ But we have the mind of Christ. 1Corinthians 2:16b Sometimes I would start to worry over a little decision and my mama always told me, “Make a decision; you have the mind of Christ.”
Apply the Word
This section is to help us respond to His promptings. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22
Stop and reflect. Listen. What ways has God spoken to you recently? Write them in your journal.
How has God spoken to you recently?
God speaks to us in more than one venue because it’s safer. Here are 4 ways. [Tweet this]
Our Daily Bread for tomorrow will be Ways God Speaks, Part 2. Subscribe so you don’t miss it!
*Many of the notes from this post came from a teaching by my mom, Pastor Brenda Hall. Used by permission.Photo credit: Amber Karnes (Creative Commons)
Like this post? Your friends probably would, too! Use the icons below to share it with them. Your friends will be glad you didn’t keep it all to yourself! Don’t forget to pin it for later!