In this post, I share how and why to keep a spiritual journal.
Imagine how much is being lost if you don’t record what is going on in your relationship with God. You can designate a regular or fancy notebook to record your walk with God. Viola! It’s your spiritual journal.
Your designated notebook is a place for you to chronicle what happens between you and God every day.
If you aren’t recording your walk with God, then you are cheating yourself of preserving your own spiritual history. And the rest of the world if you ever become famous and we get our hands on your notebooks. 😉
How I Keep a Spiritual Journal
In my journal, I record some of the following, depending on what is going on in my Daily Time:
- a scripture (or two or three) that spoke to me
- wisdom God is showing me for something
- a plan of action for a weakness
- my progress for the plan of action
- a song I’m starting to write (usually gets transferred to my song writing notebook)
- something that someone said that spoke volumes to me
- notes from studying a topic or passage in the Bible
- an occasion of God testing me and how I responded to it
- direction I feel God is giving me
- a hurt I went through and how God healed me
- questions I’m asking God
- something I’m praying about, with related verses
- a revelation God gives about something
- a specific word or direction someone feels God is having him/her share with me
- temptations that are attacking me and my plan to respond biblically
- a dream I had and what I think God is saying to me after praying about it
- notes when I listen to a sermon
I also write my current One Word in the inside flap as well as the seven action steps I’m taking with my One Word.
Why to Keep a Spiritual Journal
The word journal reminds me of the word journey. Your relationship with God is a spiritual journey that has eternal value.
Any time you look through old photos, emotions come to the surface. You are reminded of heart touching, funny, and memorable times with other people. I feel the same way when I flip back through my old notebooks and read what I recorded in my walk with God. I would have never remembered God’s detailed touch on my life if I hadn’t taken the time to write it down!
When I look back at my spiritual journey I receive amazing encouragement! For example:
- I remember how God specifically worked in my life
- I can see answers to prayer
- Measurable growth is evident
- I recall how God has given me direction
- I remember what I learned from my failures
- I EXPERIENCE God’s love for ME!
Keeping a spiritual journal brings such joy. God is real, and I love recording my relationship with Him.
Now can you imagine how much is being lost if YOU don’t record what is going on in YOUR relationship with God?
Any notebook will do. Or if paper isn’t your thing, then check out a digital option such as Evernote.
But here are some beautiful options (affliate links) from Amazon:
Journal How God is Working in Your Life
That according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us. Ephesians 3:16-20 ESV
I love this passage! God will do far more than you ask or think with you. Write how God moves in your life in your journal.Imagine how much is being lost if you don't record what is going on in your relationship with God. Click To Tweet
Do you keep a journal or notebook specifically designated to record your walk with God? What do you write in it? What is your favorite type of notebook?