Does pessimism threaten to arrive along with your trials? Want to know how to stay optimistic during life’s storms? Learn the biblical way to keep your chin up.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to always have a solution to quickly fuel an optimistic mindset when life’s storms come? Do you need that?
Or am I the only one that senses the threat of pessimism during trials?
I read some journal entries from seasons when I felt that tomorrow looked just as depressing as today:
“My productivity is suffering, and I have deadlines looming. Numerous distractions abounding means breaks for this mama have ceased. As I grab a moment here and a moment there, I struggle to complete a thought, a task, even a meal.
The curve balls life has thrown me lately have knocked me off my feet. Or maybe I get knocked out trying to catch them all. Some of these problems have solutions that are out of my reach. It’s out of my control. I can’t do it. I can’t make the nights go well or the living conditions be right or the kids do what their supposed to do all the time. Why does it seem like life sucks right now?”
When Troubles and Trials Rage
One day dark skies arrived without warning but it was enough to make me check the weather.
Great, another severe thunderstorm warning. I hope we don’t lose power—again.
I started sounding pessimistic in my head right away. Next, I jumped into praying for protection while charging devices. Because that’s the most important thing, right? Having a full charge on your phone?
That severe storm turned the fresh spring day into a white whirl. We didn’t lose power but instead, hail came and left like a hurried hit-and-run, and knocked down two massive trees in the backyard. The whole fiasco lasted less than three minutes.
Life’s storms can come with the same fierce intensity, threatening your positive outlook.
Jesus said there would be trials in this life (John 16:33). It’s how you and I respond to those trials that makes the difference. Life’s storms can look like:
- Facing that same bully week in and week out
- A dilemma on the job that makes your blood pressure soar
- Tear-filled hours of pain with a broken heart
- That health crisis that sends you to one doctor appointment after another
- A bad day filled with a bucket full of problems
How to Stay Optimistic During Life’s Storms
I love the arboreal and agricultural references in the Bible. (Which is ironic since I’m not a green thumb. I have been known to be an unintentional plant murderer.) Some of my favorites are Psalm 1:3, John 15:1-8, and Genesis 8:22. In Psalm 1, we are compared to a tree. When I saw those trees laying on the ground it got me thinking:
You are a tree and a storm of life is raging all around you. The winds of adversity will come. If you don’t want to get flattened, then you need to stay rooted in God’s Word (Colossians 2:7). Life’s storms will either knock you down or cause your roots to go deeper.
They also knock me down to a reclining position. I don’t know about you, but for me, life’s storms wear me out. When I’m overtired, I get grumpy, zombie-like, and I start feeling down. I just want to head to bed! But instead of just taking a nap, let’s allow our roots to go deeper!
Go Deeper with these 7 Verses
- Go deep with trust. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. Psalm 112:7 ESV
- Dig into God’s loyalty. For he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5b ESV
- Feed on God’s faithfulness. Your unfailing love, O LORD, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds. Psalm 36:5 NLT
- Soak up His peace. I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NLT
- Tap into God’s strength. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 ESV
- Go deep with thanksgiving. The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving. Psalm 28:7 NLT
- Refresh with praise. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. Psalm 18:2-3 ESV
Stay Rooted to Stay Positive During Life’s Hard Times
Every time I have renewed my pessimistic thinking during hard times with Scripture, it made all the difference in the world.
Let’s dig into the soil of the Word of God in adversity. Clinging to Scripture refreshes our focus. Truth washes away negativity. God’s promises fuel an optimistic outlook during life’s storms.Truth washes away negativity. God’s promises fuel an optimistic outlook during life's storms. #ThrivingInChrist #LiveYielded Click To Tweet
Which of those verses in the list do you like best? What other verses do you cling to during life’s storms?
Do you want to know the secret to staying rooted in God’s Word? It’s spending time with God every day. Do you ever struggle with that? Especially in the midst of trials when it’s easy to doubt God’s love for you?
A skewed perception of how God views you makes having a Daily Time with God much less inviting. Would you like some encouragement to get the best viewpoint when it comes to spending time with God?
The Best Viewpoint Mini-Course will help you adopt new mindsets of freedom and grace in your Daily Time with God.