Do you ever need to reset your Daily Time with God? I get it. Life happens: long difficult seasons, caretaking, sickness, major life change, or sometimes plain laziness.
In this post, I’m sharing how to push the figurative reset button on your God time if you’ve “fallen off the wagon.”
Because we could all use a fresh start at times. And God is all about new beginnings. His mercies are new every morning!
The LORD’S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23 NASB
Why I Need to Reset My Daily Time with God
I want to see Jesus without the hindrance of this temporal life. In eternity, I will be able to just walk up to Jesus anytime I want or go do something amazing with Him.
Even though I know this about eternity, I tend to forget that I still have a similar access to Jesus now.
I can come to Him daily, yet the world I live in can dull my spiritual senses.
Sometimes I need to reset my daily time because I:
- got busy or lazy and stopped seeking Him
- allowed sin or guilt to chain me down
- made someone or something and idol and subconsciously sought fulfillment from it
When one of those reasons happens to me, I tend to get apathetic towards God and His truth. And if I let it go, I will struggle spiritually.
But God, in His fervent pursuit of me, reminds me I’m His daughter and family is supposed to be close.
It’s at that moment I realize the need for a reset, but just the realization alone doesn’t mean anything changes. So I need to take action.
Grace to Reset Your Daily Time with God
First, know that God isn’t mad at you but mad about you. He gives grace.
God is love.
Think about when you’ve felt loved.
Where were you?
Who were you with?
Now try to imagine a love a billion times greater that envelops you.
If you can’t even come close to imagining that…
Well, then there’s so much more of our God for you to get to know! And the best way to do that is to keep a consistent Daily Time with God. 😉God isn’t mad *at* you but mad *about* you. He gives grace.
Reset Your Daily Time with Natural Triggers
Second, I use the fresh start of a new day as a reset with my Daily Time with God. When the morning comes, everything feels…new. Maybe that’s why there are several verses in the Bible that use the phrase, “in the morning” in connection with spiritual disciplines.
Look some up and write them on index cards to post where you will see them in the morning (e.g. bedside table, bathroom, kitchen.). When you see a card, read the verse and pray it as if you are the one who wrote it. This will help trigger your mind and heart to start your day with God.
If you’re short on time, I have created a set of eight printable cards for you with “morning verses” on them. You can find them in Insider Resources.
How to Know God Better
Third, I choose to get to know God better. How? Good question. There are at least three ways I intentionally practice to know more of God’s character.
- When I take time to study out a portion of Scripture my inner man feels like it just had a delicious fulfilling meal followed by a delectable dessert. It doesn’t have to take long. Even 10-15 minutes a day…but it’s difficult to stop sometimes. I get excited when He reveals truth to me. (And if you don’t know what one of the “morning verses” on the printable means, look it up!)
Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them. Psalm 111:2 (ESV)
- Another way I get to know God is by sitting in His presence. Do you ever worship Him through music? You might sing hymns or belt it out along with a worship band; it doesn’t matter as long as your heart is honoring God. I adore God through worshipping Him, and I sense He is near.
- The third way is, I adopt His mindset of grace. Sometimes you and I allow our sins to tangle our perception about God. Yes, we need to deal with sin, but don’t abandon the very One who sets you free and loves you despite them because they’re present in your life. We grow in grace. You and me both, friend.
Do Life with Jesus
When you allow God to be intertwined in your days, you:
- see glimpses of His glory
- experience new dimensions of His love
- are astounded by His goodness
When you know that, eternity with Him looks even more exciting.
Jesus wants to “do life” with you now. When you know that, eternity with Him looks even more exciting.
Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14 (ESV)
There are hindering mindsets that disrupt having a consistent God time. If you’re a little bit stagnant in your walk with God, you’re in the right place. Adopt liberating mindsets in your Daily Time with God. Click below to learn about the Best Viewpoint Mini-Course.
Want to encourage others in their walk with God? Use the icons below to share this post!
*this is shared at some linkups