From the 40 Days of Daily Bread Series.
Join me as we look over Sally’s shoulder and get a glimpse into her life. She’s in the den alone now…
“I’m sick of this! It seems like the more I try to go forward with God I still do the same stupid things. I try to obey God, but the devil keeps putting things in my path. I expend so much energy just trying to be obedient that there isn’t much left to fight him off. How do I stop failing, Lord?”
The Holy Spirit puts an idea into Sally’s head to write down her problems. She pulls out her journal and starts writing:
Problems in My Life
- Lately it seems like many things in God are complicated to understand and do.
- Telling things to people when I shouldn’t have.
- I feel inadequate to do what I’ve been told to do as a Christian.
Sally looks at the problems and tries very hard to figure them out:
“Well, this is hard, but maybe if I didn’t sin so much I would be thinking more on spiritual things…ugghh! It’s just too hard!”
God puts it in her heart to ask for His wisdom.
“I feel like all my efforts have only made me to land back at square one. God, I want Your wisdom! Show me your truth!”
Then He starts to help her see the root of each problem to get to the solution. She keeps writing:
Solutions to My Problems
1. Problem #1 is a lie of the devil—opposite of lie is truth
Verse for truth and understanding:
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth… John 16:13a NKJV
*The devil got me with my MIND; I need to renew my mind (Ephesians 4:23).
2. Problem #2 is a lack of wisdom—need to repent
Verse on staying quiet:
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you. 1 Thessalonians 4:11
*I failed because of my MOUTH; God says we’re snared by our mouth (Proverbs 6:2).
3. Problem #3 I’ve been relying on feelings instead of trusting Christ—problem is contrary to the Word
Verse on confidence: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
*My HEART did not trust Him, but He’s promised to lead and guide me (Psalm 32:8).
Apply the Word
This section is to help us respond to His promptings. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. James 1:22
- The above is based on a true story, because Sally was me. Sometimes you just need to write down your problems and not be intimidated by seeing them. Attack them head on. Work it out. Find the scriptures that are the solutions to your problems. [Related post: A Process for Overcoming Weaknesses]
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; Philippians 2:12 NKJV
Are you ready to grab your journal and start working out your own salvation?
Here’s a case study for working out problems according to God’s Word. [Tweet this]
Our Daily Bread for tomorrow will be about the rest of Sally’s victory. Subscribe so you don’t miss it!Photo credit: Amber Karnes (Creative Commons)
Like this post? Pin it for later! Your friends would probably like it, too! Use the icons below to share it with them. They’ll be glad you didn’t keep it all to yourself. 😉 Never miss a post, subscribe here!