We need to nourish ourselves spiritually in order to thrive. One very important way to do that is to study the Bible. Counterfeit money hunters are trained to study the real dollars, not the fake ones. In the same way we need to study the truth in order to know what’s real.
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Timothy 2:15 NKJV
Here are a few online Bible studies that I highly recommend.
3 Groups Starting January 4th
1. HelloMornings. The first 6-week session of the year is being kicked off by restudying the book of Ruth through the popular Take Refuge by Lara Williams and Katie Orr. I love this study; it is so rich! You won’t be disappointed!
2. Katie Orr will be leading a 4-week study to go along with her new inductive Bible study Everyday Hope. The book will use the FOCUSed15 Method she created for the busy woman to study the Bible in depth…in only 15 minutes a day! I can’t wait to get started! You can hear more about Katie’s journey and the heart behind her method on the God Centered Mom Podcast. You will laugh!
Participating in an online Bible study group shouldn’t replace meeting together with the corporate Body in real life. Hebrews 10:25 says, “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together,” yet meeting together online with other Believers is also beneficial.
4 Advantages of an Online Bible Study Group
1. Accountability is good! Even the most well-meaning Christian can become inconsistent. It’s easy to hit-or-miss having time with God when you’re on your own through the week. But having others present with the same goal in mind to cheer you on brings about amazing motivation. Leaders are covering you with prayer. Your group is looking for you to show up. You are wanted. “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17 ESV
2. Jesus is in the midst. “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20 NKJV) And when Jesus is there, great things happen: connecting with the Body of Christ, friendship, strength, edification, encouragement. Yes, all of these happen even when people connect online. I’ve seen it. I’ve experienced it. You can, too!
3. You can meet without getting ready for the day first. You don’t have to worry about what you look like. Bed head and pajamas are okay. You can have your favorite coffee or tea (or kale-pineapple-mango-orange smoothie). And you don’t have to fight traffic to get there.
4. Frequency. Let’s face it. If we are going to build the habit of meeting Jesus everyday, then Sunday-morning-only Christianity isn’t going to cut it. Most of us probably can’t meet with others daily in real life, so let’s utilize the opportunities provided for us online!
I am praying for you to thrive in 2016! If you have any questions or comments, please share them below, or reply to the email if you are a subscriber.
Shameless plug: Thank you everyone who joined me for the Christmas Week Appointments with God series. If you didn’t get a chance to finish, there are still a few more days before the above sessions start. Happy New Year! 🙂