Do you ever feel indifferent towards God? Almost complacent? Spiritually dry?
We get off track sometimes. It happens. Jesus is not standing over you with a whip. Instead He’s standing right in front of you with open arms; you can make a decision right now to walk into them.
If you’re feeling spiritually dry, you may be wondering how you came into it. (It could be complacency, sin, the busyness of life.) If you’re able to identify the source, good, but don’t dwell on it. Keep moving forward.
Feeling spiritually dry is not a good place to stay, but there is still hope. A dry condition is the ideal environment for a fire to ignite!
When you’re first saved, you’re lit on fire from Jesus the Light entering your spirit man. Your love for His transformation power working in your life is evident. Everyone around you can see how you are passionate about Him.
John answered, saying to all, I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Luke 3:16 NKJ
If you leave a fire burning in a fire pit or fireplace, the fire will begin to die out over time. If you don’t want the fire to wane or die out completely, then you must stoke the fire. You have to put another log on the fire. You have to poke at the logs and stir them up a bit, making the fire grow.
In the same way, how long will your fire burn if you do nothing with it?Ways to stoke the fire in you
- Make your desire known to the Lord. He will hear you. I cried to the Lord with my voice, and He heard me out of His holy hill. Psalm 3:4. He is thinking of you constantly.
- Decide to spend time with God every day. Look for the special daily portion that He has for you. You must be diligent to spend time with Him. In doing so, you guard your spirit man from destruction. Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. Luke 9:23 NKJ
- Identify lies that you have been believing. If you are reading your Bible daily, it will be easier to identify this common tactic of the enemy.
- Deal with sin. You do not have to be completely sinless before you “feel worthy enough” to spend time with God. If you are a Christian, the Father sees you through the blood of Jesus. If you are struggling in an area, be intentional about getting victory over it. If you are choosing to remain in willful sin, that is quite a different story. Your sin will separate you from God and you will begin walking in deception.
- Spend time in personal worship daily (apart from corporate worship at church). I will bless the Lord at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1
- Believe the Lord for results. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6 NKJ
Doing these things on a regular basis because you love the Lord will cause your relationship with Him to be more fruitful. If you’re struggling with consistency, remember one little effort is good. Eventually, passion will overtake the dryness. Just as a fire can spread, others will see and desire God, too. Go on, He’s waiting to make an amazing memory with you. 🙂
What can you add to this? What do you do when you’re spiritually dry?
Did you like this post? Consider sharing it and don’t forget to subscribe!Images via Creative Commons: Seabamirum and kazy79